HOME

Monday, January 7, 2013

Baked Apple Doughnuts

My mom made these often throughout my childhood. My siblings and I loved them. It was such a treat when we would come home and they were baking in the oven. This recipe was adapted from the Beyond Parsley Cookbook-Junior League Kansas City. I made these again over Christmas break, and my daughter Rylie(my toughest critic) loved them and asked me to make her some more. So I happily obliged!

First, sift together flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and nutmeg. Cut in the shortening until the mixture is fine.

Add eggs, milk, and apples to dry ingredients. You can add the chopped nuts here if you would like as well.


Fill well-greased tiny muffin pans almost two-thirds full(sorry, no picture) and bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.



Roll in melted butter and then in cinnamon-sugar mixture. Reheat at 250 degrees. These freeze well! I'm also working on making a more healthy version of these doughnuts and will let you know how they turn out.



INGREDIENTS:
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup shortening
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk (I use skim but any kind is fine)
1 cup grated tart apples(About one apple with skin removed)
1 cup butter, melted
Cinnamon and sugar mixture for coating
Optional: Add 1/2 cup of chopped nuts

DIRECTIONS:
Sift together flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and nutmeg. Cut in shortening until mixture is fine. Add eggs, milk, and apples to dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Fill well-greased tiny muffin pans almost two-thirds full. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Roll in melted butter and then in cinnamon-sugar mixture. Reheat at 250 degrees.
Makes about 6 dozen depending how large you make them. This time around I ended up with about 5 dozen. These are a great treat at home and also make great Christmas, Valentine's, and Hostess gifts packed in cute tins. Enjoy!



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment