HOME

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Pizza Pop Tarts


These little numbers are incredibly quick and super easy to make! You must try them! Rylie(my 5 year old) would eat pizza for breakfast, lunch, and dinner if I let her. Another favorite love of hers are pop tarts. I saw a recipe for homemade pop tarts on Smitten Kitten. Then I thought about adding pizza toppings in place of the usual fruit mixture. I used refrigerated pie crusts because I just didn't have the time and my little ones were hungry:) These were scrumptious and they worked out perfectly for the kids.

First, preheat the oven to 450 degrees. I used a cookie sheet and parchment paper. Unroll one or both of the pie crusts and square the edges. I used a pizza cutter to cut the crust(s) in half horizontally and then two rows vertically, so you end up with six rectangles.

Place the pizza sauce on three of the rectangles(or six if you are using both refrigerated pie crusts). I used spaghetti sauce because this is what I had available. Leave a little space around the edges. Then sprinkle the shredded cheese and add your choice of toppings. I added pepperoni this time because this is Rylie's favorite.

Lightly prick the other rectangles (with no sauce and toppings) and place them on top of the rectangles with the pizza fixings. Seal all edges with a fork so the mixture doesn't ooze out the sides.

Bake for about 8-10 minutes or until slightly brown. Serve these with your choice of sides and the kids are set with a healthy meal! So quick and easy!



INGREDIENTS
Pie Crust, refrigerated or homemade (I used refrigerated to save on time)
1 tablespoon of pizza sauce or spaghetti sauce (for each pop tart)
Shredded Cheese (I used 2% milk Mozzarella and Provolone)
Toppings (I used All Natural Hormel nitrate-free pepperoni)

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spread parchment paper over a cookie sheet. Unroll pie crust(s) and cut each crust into 6 rectangles. Add pizza sauce, cheese and toppings to three of the rectangles(or six rectangles if using two pie crusts). Lightly prick the other plain rectangles with a fork and place them on top of the rectangles with the pizza toppings. Seal all the edges with a fork. Bake for 8-10 minutes or slightly brown. These freeze well too.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment